January 4, 2017
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Session Type: Section Field Trips
Session Capacity: N/A
Participants on the field trip will be able to
experience the rich history of San Francisco’s Angel Island State Park. Located
in the middle of San Francisco Bay, Angel Island Immigration Station was
routinely the first stop for immigrants crossing the Pacific Ocean. On this
field trip, participants will explore the island and visit the Angel Island
Immigration Station Museum, where exhibits are dedicated to sharing the complex
stories and rich cultural heritage of Pacific Coast immigrants and their
descendants.Below is important information about the trip, which will take place on Wednesday, January 4, 2017. There is an IMPORTANT time change due to unexpected limited ferry rides from Pier 41 to Angel Island that week.
NEW: The meeting time at the Hilton Lobby main entrance will now be 10 AM, NOT 12 Noon. This will ensure enough time to walk from the hotel to Pier 41 (about 30 to 40 minute walk). You may also take a cab (about 15 to 20 minutes) to Pier 41. Please be sure to arrive at Pier 41 by 11:00 AM, as the ferry will leave promptly at 11:20 AM.
A few things to remember:
* Please bring $21 CASH to pay for the roundtrip ferry fare ($16) and $5 museum fee.
* We are working on arranging group tours of the Immigration Station. If we can get this arranged, the fee for the group tour will be $7 per person (cash). Self-guided tours are also available.
* Dress warmly and comfortably. Upon arriving at Angel Island, it will be a 1.5 mile walk from the dock to the museum so you will want to wear comfortable shoes.
* Food and drinks may be purchased on Angel Island and at the museum.
* The ferry from Angel Island leaves at 3:50 PM and arrives at Pier 41 at 4:40 PM (brief stop in Sausalito)
To attend this field trip, please sign-up through AALS Registration, and while
AALS will not be collecting a fee in advance for this field trip, please note
there is a roundtrip ferry ride fare of $16 which participants will pay at the
boarding of the San Francisco ferry. The $16 roundtrip ferry ride fare includes
entry to Angel Island. There is a separate admission fee of $5 at the
Immigration Station Museum on Angel Island; this fee can be made paid by cash
or check only. Participants
will need to sign an AALS waiver of liability to participate in this off-site
field trip. Participants
should plan to meet at the Hilton lobby main entrance at 10 am (NEW GATHERING TIME) to head to the
ferry as a group.
Speaker information is not available at this time.
Fees information is not available at this time.